Tracking guru’s Neilsen (when I was a kid, I always wanted one of these boxes on our TV, no idea why). has posted its Holiday 2011 Games to Watch List, and it should be no shock that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is taking the top spot among active U.S. gamers.
Which video game titles top gamers’ wish lists this year? Nielsen’s Top 20 Games to Watch reveals the most anticipated games of the 2011 holiday season, with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 the most coveted among active U.S. gamers. The list was developed by examining a variety of consumer measures from Nielsen’s Video Game Tracking survey, including the top five titles active gamers are considering for purchase.
To help narrow the focus of this analysis, Nielsen filtered the field to those titles releasing on at least one of the three major consoles (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii) during the timeframe of late August to late November. This year’s list underscores the various interests of gamers—as well as the strength of video game brands. All but one of the Top 20 titles stem from a franchise, with brands such as Madden NFL and The Legend of Zelda dating back more than 20 years. Deep Silver’s Dead Island represents the lone new IP included on this year’s list.
(Title–Percent of players listing it among their top five)
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3–27 percent
2. Gears of War 3–19 percent
3. Madden NFL 12–19 percent
4. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations–17 percent
5. Batman: Arkham City–15 percent
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword–14 percent
7. Battlefield 3–12 percent
8. Just Dance 3–12 percent
9. NBA 2K12–9 percent
10. Need for Speed: The Run–9 percent
11. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception–9 percent
12. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games–8 percent
13. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7–8 percent
14. FIFA Soccer 12–8 percent
15. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim–8 percent
16. Dead Island–7 percent
17. Kinect Sports: Season 2–6 percent
18. Resistance 3–4 percent
19. Dance Central 2–4 percent
20. Deus Ex: Human Revolution–3 percent